The novel is built around opportunities for the characters to express and experience empathy. Which moment of empathy do you find the most moving and important? What makes it so compelling?
Discuss one of the videos (links above). How does it provide a connection or a new understanding in its relationship to the themes of To Kill a Mockingbird?
Which character do you connect with the most? How so? How did this help you understand the story?
What is the lesson about life that you think Harper Lee would have wanted you to walk away from reading this novel understanding?
Address our essential question: when injustice occurs, is empathy enough? How does this apply to To Kill a Mockingbird?
What is the purpose of Boo’s character? Why does Lee include him in the story at all?
Please let me know if you have any questions!
– Floyd’s death was captured on video. The widely shared video shows images of a Minneapolis police officer kneeling on Floyd’s neck. How do you think the reaction to Floyd’s death would be different if the incident hadn’t been captured on video?
This week we will be back at school (for some of us)! Here is the work to do:
- Here is the work to do before Thursday-
- Here are the videos of our class to watch:
- Video 1: https://youtu.be/L31VJvTmN4Y
Video 2: https://youtu.be/UggjV86Gq04
- And then please do the assignment using these links:
- Be sure to fill out the worksheets on pronote and email them to me by Thursday June 11! email@example.com
- Video 1: https://youtu.be/L31VJvTmN4Y
- A little meditation if you’d like! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Og50KyZWc
Please let me know if you have questions!!
Hello 4° International,
|Dear 4° International students,|
I hope you are all doing well! One more week till vacation! Here is the work to do this week:
1) Read chapters 25-27 (three chapters) in To Kill a Mockingbird.
This week, I am assigning partners again. I want you to discuss what is happening in the book. Remember, you should be taking notes while you read along. You can discuss those notes with your partner(s). If you are very confused, then you can read some chapter summaries here:
These summaries should clarify what is happening. Please try and talk to your partner(s) on the phone or via video chat for 10 minutes in English.
Louise – Marc
Camilia – Matthieu
Henry – Clémence
Théo – Esther
Martina – Martin
Gatien – Lilou
Émilié – Gauthier
Thaïs – Raphaël – Mya
Philippe – Angélique
Please try and complete this activity by Friday, April 10th. Please email your partner(s) to schedule a time to talk. If your partner(s) don’t respond then please contact me. If you can video chat, send me a picture (a screenshot/ capture d’écran)!
2) TKAM Vocab: This week, please just spend 45 minutes learning the vocabulary on Quizlet. You do not need to send me any sentences. You have all been doing a great job with the vocabulary, so this week please learn all the words, but there is no need to email me any work.
3) Grammar: Linking words 2. Begin on page 64 of your booklet. Listen to this recording and fill out page 64:
Then, read page 65. You do not need to email me this work.
Homework to do during vacation: Please complete exercises on pages 66 and 67 and email them to me by Friday, April 24th.
4) Optional work to do during vacation: Please do not read ahead in To Kill a Mockingbird. We will continue reading the book and finish it after break. However, it would be great to read a different book during vacation if you want. Here are some free books to read online (you can also read a book that you already have):
The Call of the Wild: https://www.goodreads.com/reader/523-the-call-of-the-wild?percent=0.284179
Treasure Island: https://www.goodreads.com/reader/535-treasure-island
Adevntures of Huckleberry Finn: https://www.goodreads.com/reader/478-adventures-of-huckleberry-finn
Full list here (lots of other options but not all are free!):
If you have any questions please email me!