7) How could Shakespeare have been inspired by Montaigne’s essay “On Cannibals”?
8) List the three major ways that characters are created:
9) Which “interpretation” of Prospero do you most agree with? Why?
10) Ariel’s language often expresses all of the following EXCEPT:
- rapid movement
- a desire for power
- breathless excitement
- childlike eagerness
11) How could Ariel be the one who teaches Prospero forgiveness? Explain.
12) How do portrayals of Caliban differ in recent/modern times versus what was typically emphasized in the 18th century?