This chapter is about how, at the global scale, the principal places and actors involved in the production of wealth are undergoing change, becoming more numerous and interconnected in addition to being concentrated in metropolises and along the coasts.
- Identify the different types of production areas
- To be able to define the role of different actors in the supply chain
- Understand how production areas constitute networks
- Understand the New International Division of Labor
- Understand how the digital economy influences production area
- What are the different types of production areas?
- How are production areas changing in the context of globalization?
- What are the major actors of production at different scales?
- To what extent do flows drive global production?
- What is the impact of the digital economy on production area?
- How do metropolises and coastal areas fit into production networks?
Chapter 4: Production Spaces and Global Case Studies
Principal PPT support for first part of theme:
Map showing global trade flows:
Article about the Digital Economy:
Video: outsourcing explained:
Video on Outsourcing in Bangalore:
Example of a supply chain:
Video (12mins) on the Apple Supply Chain:
An article on the Apple Supply Chain:
Case Study of Singapore
Chapter 5: Coastal Production Zones
Principal PPT for second part of the theme:
Silicon Valley Case Study:
Article about Silicon Valley:
Link to the atlas of the future article and maps: