Maus: Chapters 4-5

Here is the link to the quiz. Please take it before Thursday morning:

MAUS : Chapters 4-5 QUIZ

Respond/discuss in the comments below to the following questions:

A) Mala complains about how Vladek saves everything and refuses to spend money if he doesn’t have to. Why might Vladek behave this way?

B) Chapter 5 is appropriately called “Mouse Holes.” The next chapter is called “Mouse Trap.” What can you predict will happen in the next chapter? (Don’t answer if you have already read ahead)

7 thoughts on “Maus: Chapters 4-5

1. A) I think Valdek behaves this way because he is scared to loose everything again, like when his money was taken away when the Nazi’s arrived, I also think that he doesn’t want to be in a bad family situation where he asks money to his children to survive.

B) I think that the chapter 6 is called Mouse trap because Valdek and his friends will be discovered in their bunkers/hiding spot and/or will be lured into a trap made by the Nazis to then send them to a concentration camp.

2. a) I think Vladek behaves this way because the the nazis took all of his jewelry and items of value, he is afraid to spend this money in case this happens again.

b) (i read ahead)

3. A) I think he saves everything he can because everything you had during that time could save your life. Now he save in fear and memories that what happenned.

B) I also read ahead

4. A I think that he kept everything ge coule because during this period everything could be used for something or to be sold at another moment.

B I read ahead.

1. A) I think that Vladek behaves this way because after the War, I think that he took conscience that life is really important and that things are precious and not always easy to find : that’s why he takes things even if he doen’t really need it.

B) I read ahead

1. a) I agree with Irénée even though Vladek had the funds he would spend very little money and always the least posible amount . It is actually understandable why Vladek would react that way. To a certain extend that was a normal behavior for an holocaust survivor. He was scared because the Nazis already took everything from him once and hr was afraid that this may happen again.
        b) (I read ahead)

5. A/ Vladek keeps his money because in WW2 the Nazis took everything from them. I’m guessing that after the war, it was complicated for them to get money. He wants to keep that money in case another WW starts with the Jews.

B/ I think that Vladek and Anja will go back to Anja’s parents’ house and that they will be trapped inside by the Nazis.
    Another thing that could happen is that the four passageways are all very secured by the Nazis and they get trapped.